Thanks Chris, your comments are encouraging.  But I do not know how to
install plugins.  I do not know how to use plugins.  I do not know how to
use directives.  I do not know how to open files in Leo.  I've looked
around, tried to find my way through the maze, tried some things based on
what I did find.  Nothing has worked so far.  I do not find clear
instructions for the beginner, spelling out the most basic of things in a
clear, step by step way.  I hate to drop Leo just because I'm too dumb to
figure it out, as it looks too good, but so far it seems not to have an
entry path for the (non-programming) beginner.  If there is such an entry
path ("Complete dummies start here!") I'd be grateful to be pointed in that
direction.
Andy