On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 7:20 AM Yaakov Belch <yaakov.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wrote my first Leo plugin: python_auto_imports.  It works for me --- but
> there is still a lot of work to be done before it can be shared.

Many for this work. My apologies for the delay in responding.

My question is: What is the best place to discuss the different aspects of
> the work and to keep the work itself?

Yes. This is the place to discuss everything related to Leo.

On the top level, we have two choices:

> (A) Do the work in private until we have some project that can be
> integrated and used by others.
> (B) "Work in the open" --- discuss the design choices with anyone
> interested, share the work-in-progress code in github and release it to the
> official Leo source when it's ready.

Do whichever you like. I encourage public discussion whenever possible.

For option (B), there may be different appropriate locations for the
> different parts of the work:
>
> (1) Motivation and normal UX design/documentation.
> (2) UX design/documentation for error reporting and user choices ---
> integration with pylint and other error detection extensions.
> (3) Technical integration with the Leo sources.
>
> Here is a high-level overview of these three parts of work: [Big snip]

I suggest you publish your plugin in "devel". This will safe provided the
plugin doesn't monkey-patch Leo's core. Even then, the plugin wouldn't be
dangerous unless people enabled it.

I've just sent you an invitation to be part of Leo's core team. That should
give you write access to devel.