There is one specific thing that is failing:

g.app.dock is returning False.  When that happens, the rest of
create_pane() gets skipped (and of course my plugin won't work).  It is
supposed to be returning True when docks are in use.

This happens when I start Leo with --init-docks.  When I start with
--use-docks, then g.app.dock returns True, and the plugin works. There is
another issue that shows up then - it's not finding its default stylesheet
- but that's minor.

Leo's startup info:

Leo 6.2-b1, 6.2 branch, build a2a4828981
2020-03-15 10:22:24 -0500
Python 3.8.0, PyQt version 5.14.0
Windows 10 AMD64 (build 10.0.18362) SP0