On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 3:40:15 PM UTC-4, Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

> Hello Edward, hello Matt,
>
> Am Dienstag, 29. Oktober 2019 14:56:33 UTC+1 schrieb Edward K. Ream:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:44 AM Viktor Ransmayr <viktor....@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Should it be possible to create a local version of Leo's Documentation
>>> out of the box w/o making any modifications to "LeoDocs.leo"?
>>>

>> Yes.  LeoDocs.leo is the official source for Leo's docs.  Choose the node
>> "Leo's Documentation" and run the rst3 command.  This creates files which
>> can be turned into .html files using `make html` from the
>> leo-editor\leo\doc\html directory.
>>

> As stated already previously I'm in the process of re-checking all issues,
> that I had reported, when I was using Leo only on a Windows PC ...
>
> I'm still not able to create Leo's documentation locally!
>
> At least not for Fedora 30. - See the error message, when I try to follow
> your recommended steps:
>
> ###
>
> Open the outline "LeoDocs.leo" locally. - OK.
>
> * See "Log-001"
>
> Choose the node "Leo's Documentation" and run the rst3 command. - OK.
>
> * See "Log-002"
>
> Create the ".html" files using `make html` from the
> 'leo-editor/leo/doc/html/' directory. - Not OK. - See
>
> [user@fedora-leo-study-vm html]$ pwd
> /home/user/PyVE/PyPI/Leo-stable/lib/python3.7/site-packages/leo/doc/html
> [user@fedora-leo-study-vm html]$ make html
> make: *** No rule to make target 'html'.  Stop.
> [user@fedora-leo-study-vm html]$

It is quite feasible to create Sphinx documentation without using make to
generate or invoke a Sphinx configuration file.  You really only need the
config file if you need a lot of config settings.  Here's an example of
what I've done in the past - in this case, for a master document called
"dd1" -

Here is an example command line, which I put into a script button node
(running it with POpen):

    python -m sphinx -C -D  master_doc=dd1 -D source_suffix=.txt . result

The command line parameters are -C to skip the conf.py file, and the two -D
options to specify things that would otherwise be in the conf.py file:

     -D source_suffix=.txt  -- Rst file extension will be .txt.
    -D master_doc=dd1      -- the main rst file is named "dd1.txt"
    -D html_theme=sphinx_rtd_theme -- use the Read-the-Docs theme.
    -D "project=Project Name" -- Set the project Name for display.
    -D "copyright=Author" -- Use this copyright string.

Other -D settings are listed at
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html.

The source directory is the current one ("."), and the output will be in a
"result" directory.  In this example, where the source is named dd1.txt,
the main HTML file will be at result/dd1.html.

If you want to user the Read-the-Docs theme, sphinx_rtd_theme, IIRC it
comes in a package that can be pip-installed.