On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 4:00:37 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

> "Often googling a topic is faster than using a bookmark, no matter how
> easy it is to find the bookmark.  Otoh, bookmarks remind me that something
> is worth googling!"
>
> Ad hoc googling doesn't afford one the opportunity to structure knowledge
> as one builds understanding of a new subject. Nested bookmarks, with easy
> means of hierarchical reordering, afford a mental map of newly explored
> territory.

Something that is not appreciated enough is that one's mental map changes
over time, along with one's ideas about categorizing terms and ideas.  And
these apparent hierarchies are usually not truly hierarchies - just because
something has been slotted into an existing indented outline does not make
it a proper member of any one hierarchy.  Over time, one often forgets
exactly how some term had been categorized, and if it comes up again, the
same term or idea may be fitted into some different structure instead.
This can make it hard to find related ideas, and is something I tried to
provide for in my bookmark manager.