On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:38:30 AM UTC+1, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> I finally though to google "windows how to type accent character".
> Explained here <https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/>:
>
> - Ensure Num lock is on.
> - Hold down Alt key.
> - Type 0233 in numeric keypad.
>
> é will appear when you release the Alt key.
>
> Who knew :-) This is way faster than using the Character Map tool. Works
> in Leo too.

Hi Edward
   Wow ... this goes back to ... Windows 3.0, maybe earlier? It was the
'only known use' of the Grey Alt key for me back then.
There used to be a table in the original IBM PC manual (small hardback ring
binder affair with clip in pages) with
all the three-digit decimal codes you could type, and the characters you
would get as a result

Who knew indeed? (not a dig, I'm sure there are other things going back
that far that I don't know about). Those were the
days when you got the BIOS assembly listing in the reference manual...

    Cheers
    J^n