On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 6:22:36 AM UTC-4, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 5:06 AM jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> QQQ
> Hi Edward
>    Wow ... this goes back to ... Windows 3.0, maybe earlier? It was the
> 'only known use' of the Grey Alt key for me back then.
> There used to be a table in the original IBM PC manual (small hardback
> ring binder affair with clip in pages) with
> all the three-digit decimal codes you could type, and the characters you
> would get as a result
>
> Who knew indeed? (not a dig, I'm sure there are other things going back
> that far that I don't know about). Those were the
> days when you got the BIOS assembly listing in the reference manual...
> QQQ
>
> Hehe. I remember those days. I rewrote a screen driver in assembly
> language to increase its speed by a factor of 10. Have no idea why I
> bothered :-)

I remember them too, hehe ... I rewrote a buggy parallel port driver in my
Sanyo MS-DOS level clone (i.e., it used a non-IBM bios and hardware).  I
had to wind the new code in and out through unused stretches of bytes to
find enough room.  I was forced into doing this because my printer
sometimes printed screwy output, caused by a bug in the BIOS error handling.