Oh I get it, yes,

They could have, yes, but the activity bar is in fact suggested as  'last
resort' place to add buttons / ui elements, as it uses more space overall
and requires exploration.

It's suggested to (and easy once you're familiar with the api,) add buttons
into other extension's (or default) views and panels, so I would expect
their command to 'open git graph' was perhaps added as a button in the
view/title of git related views, such as the git view or gitlab, etc.
existing views.

I may be wrong, maybe they should have: I have not tried it yet, but this
was just my first thought after seeing screenshots and reading your
clarification :)

I'm going to try it out and correct myself if needed!
--
Félix