I do have a problem.  It's with add_adjacent(), in class NestedSplitter.
It has an inner function hunter(layout, id_).  hunter() expects to receive
a layout dictionary with a key 'content'. However , when add_adjacent() is
called
by VR3, what gets handed to hunter() is not a dictionary but a string that
appears to be a string representation that the value of the content key
would normally have - at least, if the string were split(), it would look
like that.  So the hunter() call fails.

I tried changing the input parameter to the implied dictionary (by
modifying the code in nested_splitter.py), but then it got into an unending
series of recursive calls.

So something is amiss.