no, my files were/are in Users/jam/.leo  There are a few .leo files there,
but the only one that might be it (the primary file I wrote in since March)
has only March entries in it.  Confusing. Mac Finder says it was created,
last modified and last opened at 7:39pm on March 31.  Seems strange.  I
stopped paying attention to the name of the file, Leo just opened it every
day and I continued writing in it, not thinking about the name, so I cannot
be certain the March 31 file I find is it, but if so, it's somehow lost all
data since March 31.  Other leo system files in that directory are dated
12-12-2020, which is the day this happened, so that appears to be the
active leo directory at the time.
My focus now is on finding that file.  It's more important than what went
wrong.  I currently have a grep search going for a text phrase that I know
is in the file (but can be in several others as well)  Been going for
several hours only on the Users/jam directory.  It has so far found seven
files containing the phrase, none of which contain the lost data.
Could the March 31 file have gotten corrupted, fragmented?  If so, it seems
I should still be able to find the raw data on the drive.  I lost an
important file five years ago, on Windows at the time, and was fortunate
enough to  locate the data on the drive with a specialized data finding
program.  Anyone know of a good one for Mac?  I'll see if I can find that
program again but don't know if it works on Mac.