Tom, you have saved my bacon. .leoRecentFiles found the missing file, 7
directories deep at usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Leo/doc/. The
file appears uncorrupted, but it seems to be the only copy of that file
anywhere on the system. I have made another copy now. And python3.7 is
present, although I think python3.9 supplanted it when I installed it.
Doesn 't matter I guess, as presumably Leo and Python will find each other.

Now to reinstall Leo and implement a sensible strategy with leo files.
Here's what I get with pip install leo:

jam$ pip install leo

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/jam/anaconda2/bin/pip",
line 7, in <module> from pip.*internal.main import main ImportError: No
module named pip.*internal.main

Where do I go from here? Thanks.