On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 4:14:30 AM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

> 1. Those who are planning major writing projects would be well advised to
> make a serious study of the strengths and weakness of the major contenders,
> including Jupyter, LaTeX, reStructuredText, and Leo. And yes, it will take
> some study. wysiwyg editors and simplistic markup languages like markdown
> are too limiting. Better to invest in more powerful tools.
>
> 2. It is a great mistake to underestimate the capabilities of existing
> tools.
>
> I have made this mistake several times. 30 years ago, I despaired of using
> Emacs because I didn't understand that tab completion makes it unnecessary
> to remember full command names, or to type them. Had I understood this, I
> would likely have based Leo on Emacs. Leo's entire history would have
> changed, and I would not have spent much of the last 30 years dealing with
> tangential editor-related issues.
>
> In short,* please* take the time to study what is already possible. Major
> tools typically have dozens or even hundreds of contributors. It would be
> impossible to do better on one's own.

Edward is absolutely right in recommending using existing tools when
possible.

I am looking for a markup language for plain-text files, some of which are
documentation meant for PDF or ODF, some of which are plain text meant for
conversion via templates to static HTML5 for a Web site. Has anyone else
worked with AsciiDoc format?

AsciiDoc is meant to be less ad-hoc than Markdown and the variants thereof.
It is meant to be semantically equivalent to DocBook XML, and its creators
are early in an effort to write a specification  complete with an open
Technology Compatibility Kit
<https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Announcing-the-formation-of-the-AsciiDoc-Working-Group-and-invitation-to-join-td7626.html>.

The creators of AsciiDoc offer Asciidoctor <https://asciidoctor.org>, a "
*fast*, open source
<https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/blob/master/LICENSE> text
processor and publishing toolchain for converting AsciiDoc
<https://asciidoctor.org/docs/what-is-asciidoc> content to HTML5, DocBook,
PDF, and other formats"; AsciiDoctor is cross-platform, written in Ruby;
AsciidoctorJ <https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj> runs on a Java
Virtual Machine, and Asciidoctor.js
<https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.js> in JavaScript environments,
including Web browsers. The leaders of the Asciidoctor project write that
AsciidoctorJ and Asciidoctor.js need to develop independently of
Asciidoctor, which is one motivation for the creation of a specification
and TCK.

The Python implementation, AsciiDoc-py
<https://github.com/asciidoc-py/asciidoc-py>, is limited to legacy syntax
for AsciiDoc.