I've just written a plugin to open free-floating editor windows that are
linked to nodes on a Leo outline.  It's very simple, much simpler than the
*edit-pane
*plugin. That's because it does much less.  But it does pretty well just
what I wanted.

The plugin has a command that opens a new editing window that is locked to
the selected outline node.  If you type into it, the host node's text picks
up the changes.  If you type into the host node, the free-floating editor
pane picks up the changes.  You can have multiple editing panes open, one
per selected node.

The use-case for the plugin comes from the zettel-kasten work from last
year.  There was a long but rather fragmented discussion of that last
spring: see
https://groups.google.com/g/leo-editor/c/TqiNdBfnEig/m/2qAK9XecAgAJ.  The
idea is that in a physical zettel-kasten (basically an extensive,
cross-referenced set of index cards, each one having a narrowly-focused
topic), one would get out a number of related index cards - the zettels -
and spread them out so they could all be looked at (and maybe altered) at
the same time.

In a tree-like presentation like Leo's, you can't really do that.  You can
have several editors in the edit pane and you can make that pane to be
free-floating, but they become cumbersome quickly, and don't help you focus
your attention on just the bits that you want.  And it's too easy to
accidentally change the focus of one of them to the wrong node.

This plugin simulates placing selected cards on a desktop so you can think
about them and work on them.  You could even move the cards to a different
workspace with no other clutter.

These editor windows are so simple that they don't do any colorizing, but
for the intended purpose this wouldn't be needed.  The underlying editor
widget implements its own undo functionality (CNTL-Z).  The editor will
update the text of the host outline node even if it is out of sight in
another workspace (tested on Windows but not yet on Linux).

I haven't asked for this plugin to be merged into Leo yet, but you can get
it to play with at my own clone repo:

https://github.com/tbpassin/leo-editor/tree/tbp-freefloat-editor

The plugin is the *leo/plugins/freewin.py* file in the
*tbp-freefloat-editor* branch.  To use it, copy the file to Leo's plugins
directory,  add it to the list of enabled plugins in MyLeoSettings.py, and
restart Leo.  Select a node to work with, and run the command named
*z-open-win*.