I looked up *ctags* so I have some idea about them now.  @gar, how do you
picture their use?  There are a couple of existing Leo plugins that use
ctags files.  Personally, the functionality like that I use the most is
Leo's ability to jump to method defs.  I don't know how that's accomplished
but it's a great feature of Leo.  I have thought of trying to get that
capability into this Freewin plugin. The way I see it working is that you
CNTL-click on a method invocation and a new Freewin window opens up for the
node where the definition is.

This would be way beyond the scope I had in mind originally, but it does
seem like it could be delightfully useful.  I'm not sure how tricky it
would be to implement.  If that is what you were thinking of, I could look
into it.

The thing is that I didn't devise these editing windows with programming in
mind.  I mostly wanted to view so-called "zettelkasten" notecards - that
is, small focused chunks of textual data.  So the windows don't do any
syntax colorizing, and the way they are constructed I don't think that
adding colorizing to the editing view would be very easy at all.  Another
thing I could look into ...