Here is Dave (Winer)'s spec <http://opml.org/spec2.opml>.  I would think
that there would be an XML schema (or maybe a DTD would be able to the the
joib) somewhere that could be used for validating an OPML file, but I
didn't find one in a very hasty search.

Since OPML only includes what Leo calls headline text, I'm wondering if
there would ever be any use for text in (Leo) node bodies.  An OPML outline
node can contain other information besides the headline text, so maybe
that's why the plugin may deal with Leo's user attributes - the info has to
go somewhere.

Is it the case, @chr, that you want to round-trip OPML files with other
applications with full fidelity (except maybe data about an editor's
state)?  Or do you only need to include a subset of information?