OK, a slight non-definitive update:

Without changing any SW, it looks like I may have (accidentally) been
ie of 0 bytes length. I just picked this as an 'old, no-longer needed' test
file, without looking
at the contents.

Leo itself doesn't seem to have an issue with opening this file, it creates
a 'null' headline etc.

Might that have been the cause? I will try to take a better look later this
w/end.

Thanks, J^n