" Well, this is a bizarre new policy."  I don't think it's that new.
Wikipedia has been trying hard to prevent misrepresentation by interested
parties who want to make themselves look good, or others to look bad. So
you often can't fix errors about yourself even if you know for sure they
are wrong.  We'll be lucky if they accept the changes without a published
authority somewhere.