Hi jkn! :D

Thanks for your interest and questions!

I've translated/transliterated (not sure which is appropriate!) about 99%
myself manually, and I've used chatGPT for small parts (e.g. some regular
expressions, some small quirky methods) which I would estimate to be 1% of
the code. (anyways - from 2021 to early 2023 chatGPT did not even exist!)

Even then, the parts translated with AI had to be manually inspected and
tested. (I've played a lot with chatGPT translations from python to
typescript and it does not account for subtle details in some "almost
identical" native functions, which inevitably break the intended behavior)
In fact, the more important and subtle a detail is, the more likely it is
that AI will ignore it. (which may even compile and run in normal cases,
but break in edge/extreme cases)

For example, regex (Leo uses those a lot in critical places) have subtle
differences in the usage of 'flags' such as 'm' or 'g' in python vs
javascript, which will totally fail if not taken into account.

So it's really risky to use AI for translation. (if not thoroughly
inspected and tested)

About the 'upstream' work on Leo - I did the oldest, less likely to change
code first. Also, I have not done the importers yet, nor the unl support,
which happen to be re-written or changed in the last few weeks.... hehe !

 For other stuff that changed, I try to keep up by collaborating with
Edward to change Leojs & match Leo's changes as quickly as possible, as to
not fall to much behind.

I look in the commit history and diffs with tools in gitlens (vscode
extension) to keep up with the changes and modify leojs as much as possible.

I usually work on implementing stuff for 2-3 weeks ,and then spend a week
to catch up with what was updated by Edward (if it happens to be on stuff
already in leojs).

Thanks for your support and curiosity! Best to you - Hope you'll be testing
& reporting bugs when I release the first beta in a few days (or weeks)!  ;)

Félix