"Too deep" is definitely a bit subjective, and will vary by person.

But what I found helpful is to build a few plugins.  Find some pocket of
your workflow that you think could be just a little bit better 'if ZZZZ'
and write a plugin that does ZZZZ.

Plugins are a good way, imo, to limit your exposure -- you'll likely only
be interacting with the parts of Leo's code you really need for your
intended functionality.  Unfortunately there's no real way to avoid reading
Leo's source code, but you definitely don't have to drink from the firehose
to get a better understanding of it.

Jake