I may be one of the few people who realizes how inconsistent the
installation situation is because I run around 8 or 10 different distros
and distro versions from time to time to make sure a certain software
package runs right on Linux.  Naturally I try to install Leo and GF4 on
those distros.  So I have exposure to a wider potential range of problems
than most people.

Unfortunately for wrangling these issues you really need to set up new VMs
each time since once you get, say, Leo working then updating is usually
easier.  It can all be very time consuming.