I wonder whether you VE activation somehow got lost during this process.  I
noticed this:

~$ which leo
/home/user/.local/bin/leo

This says that typing "leo" uses that script, which is not one in the VE.
Try this, and let us know what happens -

    First, activate your VE environment.  Then issue

    python3 -m leo.core.runLeo --version

You should get something like this:

Leo 6.7.9-devel, ekr-3892-vr-pane branch, build 8ede3fc77e
2024-05-14 05:12:23 -0500
Python 3.11.6
linux

I always run Leo that way, or with a script that uses the incantation.  You
are guaranteed to run the version of Leo that goes along with that version
of python3, and if you have activated the VE then Python's module search
path will be within the VE.  Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the system,
which may not have the same idea as you as to what to run.

I often create one desktop icon to run the ordinary release of Leo and
another one to run from my git-clone directory.  I recommend that you do
the same (or create two launch scripts and use them).