On Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 1:44:43 PM UTC-5 Edward K. Ream wrote:

>> I hope that existing GUI plugins that use the
nested-splitter/free-layout will be able to continue working without
needing to be reworked

> When True, the *g.allow_nested_splitter* switch enables both plugins to
work as before. As noted in the PR, this switch might be on "forever."

Belay that. Leo's codebase should not contain toxic code switches. Such
switches are intolerable in the long run.

I feel strongly enough about this that I am willing to convert legacy code
myself. This offer extends to you, Thomas, and anyone else.

*Assuming the PR succeeds,* here is my present plan:

- Terry's plugins (and the switch) will be part of Leo 6.7.9.

- As part of 6.7.9, I'll convert all affected code in LeoPyRef.py.

- The 6.7.9 release notes will warn of a breaking change in Leo 6.7.10 and
will offer to help with conversion.

- I'll remove the switch and the two plugins as soon as 6.7.9 goes out the
door.

*Summary*

If PR #3911 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3911> succeeds,
Leo 6.7.9 will be the last release that supports the free_layout and
nested_splitter plugins.

The 6.7.9 release notes will warn of the breaking change and will offer to
help convert any existing code.

Leo's long history includes removing many overly complex features. Removing
all vestiges of these plugins will make Leo simpler and more maintainable.

Again, I welcome all comments.