I think one thing is missing.  I'd like to have a command to place the log
frame into its own panel next to the body editor's.  This layout has the
tree pane vertically on the left, the body in the middle, and the log frame
on the right.  I'm sure I could come up with a script to do this, but I
think there should be a Leo command for it.  The reason is that there are
times when you want to see many lines in the log frame.  It could be a
stack trace, the output of key bindings, or an app like my bookmark app or
RPCalc, that opens in the log frame.  And when VR/VR3 gets opened sharing
the log frame panel the height crunch gets even worse.

So there should be three built-in layouts instead of two, and there should
be a command or commands similar to *toggle-split-direction* to activate
any of them.

I also don't like the name "secondary_splitter".  I have no way to know
which is "primary" and which is "secondary", and I don't see why I should
have to or what the distinction is.  Better splitter names would be a good
thing (sorry I don't have any suggestions yet, but I don't understand the
distinction so I can't offer any!).