Speaking of which, the free layout controller still has this method:

def get_top_splitter(self) -> Optional[Wrapper]:
    """Return the top splitter of c.frame.top."""
    f = self.c.frame
    if hasattr(f, 'top') and f.top:
        child = f.top.findChild(*NestedSplitter*)  *<================*
        return child and child.top()
    return None

This method is used by the *richtext* plugin as well as the flc itself.

*qt_gui* also has a method by this name but it has been updated to return
the 'main_splitter'.