Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Jim Gifford wrote these words on 05/27/05 01:48 CST:
>

>>Would be great, but the RaQ series and few other designs don't have the
>>ability to boot from a cdrom.That's why I'm persuing a method that is a
>>little easier for people to work with on all systems. NFS root booting.
>

> This is the future of LFS?
>
> Is the point of LFS in the future to cater to the folks with the
> 5% of hardware? Seems that for the 95% (just my estimates, but it
> has to be close to reality) of the folks that will be building on
> x86 architecture, that the book is becoming increasingly difficult.
>
> I think a call to the community as to what should really be the
> LFS goals is in order.

I must start by saying that I have not been interested enough in this
thread to have read every contribution in detail.

Having built a couple of POX86S (plain old X86 system) with cross-lfs
instructions, I've decided to take a copy of the latest svn
non-cross-lfs book and maintain that for myself.  The increased
complexity of the cross-lfs method has zero benefit in x86 AFAICS.

I'm not saying that cross-lfs isn't a great bit of work, it's just that
I don't see that it has any application to 95% of folk building LFS for
the first time, and the 5% who need a cross method could reasonably read
a hint.

I really don't feel comfortable forcing the toolchain to build a cross
toolset when it isn't necessary.  I was very keen to see if there was an
advantage to using the cross method, but after experimenting with it, I
have come to this differing view.

Some people may feel betrayed by this, but Randy was brave enough to go
against the trend and I feel I have to support him.

R.