On 9/14/05, Matthew Burgess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Archaic and I have put our heads together to try and come up with a more
> reasonable set of Udev rules.  These are based on the following criteria:

<snip>

Good work guys - tthanks for creating the initial ruleset.

> # /etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules: Rule definitions for LFS.
>
> # Create the /dev/cdrom symlink.
>
> BUS="ide", KERNEL="*[!0-9]", PROGRAM="/bin/cat /proc/ide/%k/media",
> RESULT="cdrom", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="cdrom"

In addition to the mentioned multiple CDROM and DVD\CDWriter comments
already made, I'll add that we need to cater for SCSI CD devices too
;)

> # Core kernel devices
>
> ## Unchanged
> KERNEL=="random",                                               MODE=="0444"
> KERNEL=="urandom",                                              MODE=="0444"

Lots of the rules that follow might be able to take more advantage of
the regex desciptions. e.g.

KERNEL=="[u,]random" MODE="0444"

That however does make the file less readable, and isn't a huge
advantage memory wise.

And to respond to some of the other issues raised:

Originally, we created the LFS udev rules to match the base
functionality of the MAKEDEV package. Could we perhaps resurrect that
package, except that the new MAKEDEV would generate a udev rules file,
rather than the nodes themselves? Possibly allow a "prompt" option to
makedev which asks what nodes you want, and a makedev LFS\BLFS so the
actual node rules can be maintained by the appropriate development
teams - just a thought.

Note also that editing the default ruleset supplied by LFS is not
necessary - multiple rules files are perfectly acceptable, as long as
the rules of precedence are considered.

-- -
Steve Crosby