Matthew Burgess wrote:

Incidentally, I'd love for someone to draw a nice looking graphic to show how kernel events, udev, hotplug, modules, etc. are all related and how they function together. If a similar graphic could be drawn without the hotplug component in there, a direct comparison would be possible. Any takers? :)

The attached gzipped SVG file contains both (open it with Inkscape and print on A4 paper). Common things = gray, added = green, removed = red.

Note that /sbin/hotplug is NOT on this diagram, because we immediately set the hotplug handler in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug to /sbin/udevsend (the time window between mounting the root fs and setting hotplug handler to /sbin/udevsend is ignored).

Also, as a kernel driver author, I can say that my framebuffer driver gets sysfs and udev support for free when I call register_framebuffer().

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

image/svg