Gerard Beekmans wrote:

UID 25 should be assigned to, for example, the Postifx service, and you can choose to install it from CLFS or BLFS depending on what your needs are. Maybe Postfix is a poor example, but the idea is clear I hope. Different books can install the same program in different ways. HLFS might install Postfix with a series of patches to make it nice and secure. No matter whose Postfix instructions you use, they should all use the same UID of 25 so you don't end up with conflicts as described above.

This is a bit off-topic, but this discussion has triggered another thought. With CLFS at some point (whether you decide to chroot or boot) you're going to be building the remainder of the book natively. At that point does CLFS really need to maintain separate instructions on how to do that? In short, do they need to ever worry about UID/GID etc? We could chop off that entire section in CLFS and point users to chapter 6 of LFS to finish up their native build.

Less redundancy, less maintenance, less worry about conflicts. I guess there is the various arch issues and packages specific to those, but CLFS could give general notes for each arch and instruct users to return when done with LFS chapter 6 to build any arch-specific packages.

--
JH