Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I still do not know why it is desirable to consolidate these uids/gids.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's feasible either. The whole idea of this discussion is that each service/package/program/whatever gets its own ID to use. If you, for whatever reason, installed both, you could use our standard instructions and not have to adjust everything.

I think everybody has about given their two cents worth. Let's try to come to a resolution.

Based on all that has been said, I think it comes down to Jim providing a list (or URL to said list like Bruce has done) of IDs used in CLFS that are now in conflict with what BLFS is using for one reason or another.

We'll consolidate those lists, have CLFS use new IDs if needed, and put this list on the website for us to refer to in the future when a new ID is to be used by one of *LFS books.

Objections to this?

--
Gerard Beekmans