On 11/23/05, Andrew Benton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim Gifford wrote:
> > Matt,
> >    I should also mention Ryan is working on a way for us to santize our
> > own headers.
> >
> Please excuse my ignorance, but why do we need to sanitize the kernel
> headers? What's wrong with using the headers in the kernel source?
> Andy

One reason is that the headers in the kernel source include all the
internal kernel definitions.  As I understand it, it's bad form for
userland apps to be using internal kernel interfaces (with the
exception of glibc).  The sanitized headers give a subset of the
definitions appropriate for userland.  See Q3 of the llh FAQ:

http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/doc/FAQ

Someone else probably knows a lot better reasons, too.

--
Dan