On 12/11/05, Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/11/05, Jeremy Huntwork <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The real thrust behind this research is to have a rationale for each
> > package -- *why* it's built *when* it's built. IMO, that's 10 times
> > better than just saying 'eh, the build order is a huge mess, we don't
> > know why this package is before this other one, but it works so let's
> > just leave it.' Note, too that in the proposed branch and build order
> > *all* dependencies will be listed - even the ones that are satisfied by
> > the alphabetical order. Nothing will be unknown.
>
> There are reasons.  I know Greg opened that bug, but it was his and
> Ryan's own work on PLFS, using ICA that determined a lot of the
> ordering.  Damned archives are too big!  I knew I should have
> bookmarked more things last time I did this.  I'll get links soon.

MSB separate ch. 5 and ch. 6 - contains lots of build order discussion
at the bottom.  This is the major justification for the ordering I
think.
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2001-November/021382.html

Greg's first ICA post
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2003-March/033028.html

Proof that the build was at one time byte-for-byte possible
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2003-March/033054.html

Gerard asks about the plfs ordering
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2003-May/033958.html

Ugh.  Too much looking through the archives.

--
Dan