On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

Ken Moffat wrote:

 I think Jeremy did use the initial release of farce in the early days
of the alphabetical branch, despite its bugs.

What improvements have you made?

Fixed processing of ar archives that appeared to differ, another fix for '/' as one of the pathes, and some regex improvements - it worked for me when originally tested, but then failed next time I tried to use it, so I had to fix it. Also allowing for the expected different files to be in lib64, and a list of all the files that actually are identical.

 Anyway, I suspect that the introduction of randomization into the
toolchain might soon make this idea of subsequent builds being identical
into a historical curiosity ;)

I'm sorry, what?  Have I missed something? What do you mean introducing
randomization into the toolchain?

--
JH

I'm seeing strangenesses in 'size' from glibc snapshots when I try repeated CLFS builds - not exactly unexpected, but I'm starting to think some of it is deliberate. I spent an hour or two earlier looking at the fedora testing srpms for glibc and gcc, randomization and stack-smashing protection came up several times in one or other of the changelogs.

At the moment, the phrase is *might* make this a historical curiosity, certainly for LFS itself, which is reluctant to use anything other than an official release. As with everything in glibc, it's hard for an outsider to penetrate.

Ken