On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Dan Nicholson wrote:

http://students.washington.edu/dbnichol/lfs/lfs-alpha-20060108-reports/ica/REPORT.1V2
http://students.washington.edu/dbnichol/lfs/lfs-alpha-20060108-reports/farce/1v2/farce-differ
http://students.washington.edu/dbnichol/lfs/lfs-alpha-20060108-reports/farce/1v2/farce-results

I'm pretty sure the perl, vim and nscd differences are time stamp
related.  Ken, farce does quite a bit more analysis than Greg's ICA
functions.  Would you mind looking at these results and commenting on
differences between the ICA report and the farce report?

Certainly farce shows perl, vim, and nscd were compiled at different times - open farce-substitiutions in view to see what got replaced by tokens (and yes, 2.3.6 in nscd is probably a library version although it got matched to regex KV02).

The main point of farce is to look into binaries for this sort of variable compile-time information, that's why it's happy to class these files as ok.

My gut feeling is that cleaning the toolchain might remove a lot of differences (ar archives, and programs linked statically) which (at least in lfs-svn) show up between the first and second builds, particularly much of the 'differs, but same code'.

Ken