On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:38:32 -0800
Jim Gifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think we all have come to realization that LLH headers are not
> coming out. So I've been checking into how to make these headers. So
> I'm asking everyone's opinion on this before I pursue this task.

Well done Jim, someone needed to move on this or we'll never get the
latest udev without hotpig working ;-(

> Now for my questions, my answers are in the ()
>
> Do we really want to pursue our own creating of sanitized headers?
> (Possbily)
> Do we want to wait for LLH? (Could be a long time)
> Do we want use 2.4 headers with patches, like the distro's? (NO!, may
> loose some 2.6 ABI functionality)

You present a really difficult choice. I can only answer with questions:

How much effort is required to maintain our own set of headers?  Is
this a one guy, one hour a month kind of thing, or twelve guys for 9
days a week?  I'm guessing about the same effort as one dedicated guy
can spare, since that's what the current maintainer used to do.

Could we support LLH by helping rather than ditching them?  How would
the maintainer respond to an offer?

Do we know why the distros use modified 2.4 headers?  I really don't
like the idea of losing 2.6 ABI functionality.

R.