Matthew Burgess wrote:
> I'm still concerned that we won't load all modules correctly though;
> some of the distro rules load various SCSI modules dependent on the
> SYSFS{type} variable.  I'd appreciate it if someone with the
> necessary hardware could test to see what does or doesn't work.

Oh -- the "load sd_mod for SCSI disk device" type rules?  Yeah, I don't
know for sure how to handle that one; I don't use SCSI.  (I wish I did,
just for its reliability.  But that's another issue.)

It should work to have the generic "modprobe $modalias" rule for all
ACTION="add", MODALIAS="?*" uevents, but then also have other rules for
SCSI disks, SCSI tapes, SCSI CD-ROMs, and SCSI <whatever other devices>.
The "modprobe sd_mod" rule that's in the rendered udev_update branch
right now looks like it's orthogonal to the MODALIAS="?*" rule; it's not
like the sd_mod rule is overriding the MODALIAS rule or anything.  It
should be possible to just add extra rules that depend only on the
SYSFS{type} values, and load the right SCSI modules.

Looking at the RedHat rules file[1] shows the following mappings of the
various SYSFS{type} values to device types and modules:

SYSFS{type}     Device      Module
-----------     ------      ------
   0,7,14        Disk       sd_mod
     1           Tape         st (or osst, depending on the tape device)
    2,3         Generic     sg_mod
    4,5           CD        sr_mod
     6          Scanner     sg_mod (still a generic device)
    8,9         Generic     sg_mod

I don't know about other values; I'd like to know where to find out how
they're allocated, though.

[1]
http://diploid.med.unc.edu/cgi-bin/dwww?type=file&location=/usr/share/doc/udev/examples/redhat.rules.gz