Richard A Downing wrote:

> However, some people build, for instance X11, in the chroot (very
> tempted to let my spellchecker change this to cheroot :) environment,
> and they might need some of the device nodes.  Joe's way might be best,
> however.

Sorry to be a bit late to this thread.

I believe (but could be wrong) that X can be built and installed without
any devices in /dev, but configuring with `xorg -configure` will require
devices, but you wouldn't want to do that in chroot anyway.

BTW, I used to build many BLFS packages in chroot, but lately I've found
that installing openssl/openssh and remotely logging in is even more
convenient.  You do need more than one system though.

  -- Bruce