Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

If the text is not US-ASCII and the content-transfer-encoding is quoted-printable, all non-ASCII bytes are converted to the "=XY" notation, where X and Y are hex digits. ASCII pats of the message are readable with vim this way, but non-ASCII requires Mutt. If viewability with vim is an absolute requirement, use the "8bit" content-transfer-encoding.

Looking through the python code, it appears I can set the variable [mime_encoding] to be either 'base64', 'quoted-printable', or 'none'. 'base64' is assumed unless you specify something else. 'none' will be regarded as ASCII only, and if the script encounters any non-ASCII characters, it will bail.

I'm not sure how likely it is to encounter non-ASCII chars. Perhaps if someone includes them in their comments? What's the best thing to do here?

--
JH