Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> The kernel-2.eclass file at
> <http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/eclass/?hideattic=1> has
> the gory details on how gentoo creates the headers. It has lot of
> extra functions since the same elcass is also used for kernel
> compilation.

Ok, thanks. Tho' I had managed to find it just before your post came
through.. Grrr, Gentoo is a convoluted mess..

At last we can start to see where some of Jim's rationales are coming from
even though he still refuses to document them. How about some comments in
the script Jim?

The first thing that jumps out at me is this:

Gentoo apply the headers___fix() function only to a few selected files and
dirs. But Jim applies his "__u8 and co." type seds to every single header!
Hmmmm...

I still stand by my claim that non-expert-programmer folks should not be
meddling with this stuff. But at least it's encouraging to know that a
Distro like Gentoo can seemingly prosper when they sanitize their own
headers and can avoid using llh.

But that doesn't escape the fact that this "every man for himself"
approach is essentially wrong. Yes it's been talked about for years, but
Linux *needs* a centralized linux headers project of some sort. Llh is a
step in the right direction and IMHO there is still plenty of life in it
yet..

Regards
Greg
--