Matthew Burgess wrote:
Archaic wrote:

My thoughts are that the actual devices are created properly, and
nothing in the base system needs the symlinks so I vote for moving this
ticket to BLFS.

The actual devices (/dev/hdc on my box) are created correctly, but the symlinks are incorrect if one has multiple CD/DVD drives. Therefore, the bug is rightly an LFS one. Now, with the observation that the underlying devices (e.g. /dev/hdc) are created correctly I'd propose that we simply remove the symlink rule from the rules file (lines 3-6) and close the ticket. If folks want to create symlinks for their CD/DVD drives there are various examples in the Udev tarball of rules that will do so. How's that sound?

IMO, it needs to be in _one_ of the books. BLFS software, at least at one time, required various symlinks. Other software beyond BLFS I know still requires /dev/dvd. cdrom_id does a nice job I am told. If it isn't covered in LFS, then need to open a ticket on it in BLFS and verify that the multimedia and cdwriting software will use the hd* device names.

-- DJ Lucas