Dan Nicholson wrote:

I think it's useful for anyone.  The first time I built the book, it
seemed some random collection of utilities (not quite, but you get the
point).  If this dependency info had been available I think I would
have been able to understand the connection of the tools a bit better.

--
Dan

Your comment about a "random collection of utilities" reminds me of another ticket I created, about adding an explanation of why each package is in the book - http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1673. The book does a good job of giving a technical description of what each program does, but for many of them doesn't really say why a user would need that package.