Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I'm by no means an expert here, but does the GROUP do anything for a
symlink that has 777 permissions?  Or does that apply to the name when
the actual device is created?
I need to remove a lot of things in these rules before we go to production.

How robust is this?  It would seem to work if there are two cdroms, but
does it generalize to the admittedly unusual case where there are more
than two?  I'm not sure how the drives are recognized.  I only have one
and it is at "/sys/bus/ide/drivers/ide-cdrom/0.0"  What do the digits
before and after the dot stand for? bus.device as in hda => 0.0  ... hdd
=> 1.1 ?

Actually I may need to modify it a little, but it should be able to accommodate anything we through at it.

I posted to hotplug list to, to get feedback from hotplug maintainers.