Matthew Burgess wrote:
Peter wrote:

ISTR also some failure that was reported on
support due to EOF not being quoted.

The only failure you'll get by not quoting EOF is if the contents of the here-document contain shell variables that you want to have expanded. I'd agree that consistency would be nice to have, and to that end, I'll fix the book up to only use quotes if they're required.

Sorry about that complete and utter lie above. It's the other way around, of course. If EOF is unquoted, shell expansion occurs within the here-document. Additionally, as bash(1) states, newline handling differs between the quoted and unquoted cases, so the quotes are required in the case of our udev rules.

Regards,

Matt.