Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Joe Ciccone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>>> On the topic of parallelizing the bootscripts, what do people think
>>> about doing this?  DJ has added some easily-parallelizable scripts to
>>> the contrib/ directory in the bootscripts repo (basically, by making
>>> them LSB compliant, you make them easy to run in parallel).  Should we
>>> look into making these scripts the default, perhaps for LFS 6.4 or 7?
>>> (And should we actually run them in parallel or not?)
>>>
>> I'm all for parallelizing the boot scripts. The only thing I'm having a
>> hard time getting my head around is updating the screen with the status.
>
> +1 here, too, so long as they can be proved reliable, etc. I haven't
> gotten around to playing with DJ's scripts, but I will soon.

I guess I still don't understand the need for this.  I just did a test
on my laptop and it took 18 seconds from the time I pushed enter from
grub to a login prompt.  This included udev, dbus, hal, sshd, nfsd, but
not X, ntp, or bringing up my wifi card.

If I cut the boot time in half and rebooted my system seven times a day
(I rarely boot it more than twice, normally once.), I will save one minute.

If this is done for the challenge, I can understand that, but I don't
think that the the benefit is significant.

  -- Bruce