On 3/23/07, Bruce Dubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > 1. We shouldn't always point to the svn version. When a stable book is
> > released, it should probably point to the stable version of the BLFS
> > book. Although, there could be a time lapse where this could be a bad
> > idea, i.e. LFS-6.2 + BLFS-6.1. Still, if someone's following the
> > stable LFS book, they probably don't want to get forwarded into the
> > development version of BLFS.
>
> They may think they don't, but they probably do.  The -dev version of
> the book is appropriate until the corresponding version of blfs is
> released.  In the last cycle, that took quite a long time.  As a rule of
> thumb, when using lfs-x.y, use blfs-dev until blfs-x.y is released.

True, but there should be a middle ground there. If you're doing
you're first LFS and you wisely picked the stable book, you'd get
plopped into the -dev BLFS book with no knowledge whatsoever about
where it stands in it's development history. Maybe it's a good time
like after LFS-6.2 was released, or maybe it's right now and you're
about to be thrown a wave a cairo/gtk updates.

> Currently, there is no way to go back and change released books.  The
> only alternative is to use the errata page.

Right.

> One way I can think of is to point to a pseudo blfs on the web site and
> use appropriate symbolic links to the right pages.  Initially they would
> point to -dev and then would be changed to point to the appropriate
> version ov blfs when that is released.

Maybe view/lfs-compat? This could be a good compromise and would save
us having to do things like write "Warning: Don't use the BLFS stable
book anymore!" on the web page. All it would take is a change of a
symlink at LFS release time.

--
Dan