On Tuesday 24 April 2007 08:27, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 04/24/07 02:11 CST:
> > Then -1 to Matt's proposal to remove the patch. Seems dumb to remove
> > a patch that provides a better end product.
>
> In my haste in replying I didn't think through this response, please:
>
> s/Seems dumb to/I would prefer that we didn't/

Oh, ever the diplomat Randy :-)

The reasons I wanted to drop the patch were in my original RFC, the main one
being that it's never going to get accepted upstream as the functionality to
determine the processor type belongs in the kernel.  Thinking over that again
though, that's exactly the same situation faced by the Coreutils i18n patch -
it provides useful functionality but in a manner that upstream won't accept.
So, maybe it wasn't a very strong argument after all.

Given the above, and the fact that those that responded want the patch kept,
I'll just let it lie for now.

Thanks,

Matt.