Jon Fullmer wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> Forgive a novice to this list. I couldn't find any mention of this,
> so if it's already been talked about, I'm sorry.
>
> Step 5.7 of the recent development book shows this step currently to
> generate the specs file:
>
> gcc -dumpspecs | sed '[EMAIL PROTECTED]/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g' \
>    > `dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/specs
>
> When putting this system for a non-x86 (PowerPC, to be specific), I
> noticed that this setup is actually wrong.  I discovered this when
> the compile test of the dummy.c code showed the interpreter as still
> being /lib/ld... (as opposed to /tools/lib/ld...). In looking at the
> generated stream, I noticed that the "/lib/ld..." mentionings do not
> occur at the beginning of the line, as the sed statement requires. I
> would think that you would need to remove the ^, like this:
>
> gcc -dumpspecs | sed 's@/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g' \
>    > `dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/specs
>
> That's what I did, anyway, and it worked great.
>
> This is my first shot at participating in the Development version, so
> if I'm full of it, or I've totally missed something obvious, feel
> free to point it out to me.  I love LFS, and would love to see it
> continue in its greatness.  Thanks.
>
>   - Jon

Jon,

actually there's a notice just before the command you've quoted.  This
is what I'm referring to:

<quote>
If working on a platform where the name of the dynamic linker is
something other than ld-linux.so.2, replace “ld-linux.so.2” with the
name of the platform's dynamic linker in the following commands. Refer
to Section 5.2, “Toolchain Technical Notes,” if necessary.
</quote>

I've been compiling and running LFS on ppc and sparc for six years
already and this notice has been there for at least three or four years.

However, further to this discussion, there is actually a problem with
the sed command on platforms other than x86.

Here's how it is right now:

sed '[EMAIL PROTECTED]/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g'

and here's how I would change it so it works everywhere:

sed 's@/lib/ld-linux.so.2@/tools&@g'

The linker on non-x86 platforms is not defined at the start of a new
line, all by itself.

Now, can I make another suggestion, can we define a variable LD_LINKER
or something like that that we can write into .bashrc and which will
default to ld-linux.so.2, but with a note saying that it's something
else on different platforms?  You can put a disclaimer that building and
running LFS on non-x86 platforms is not supported, if you want.  So the
sed command will look like:

sed 's@/lib/$LD_LINKER@/tools&@g'

IvanK.