Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>   How can I tell if I have a 64 bit processor?

Try to boot a 64-bit kernel there. Either download a LFS LiveCD (even
the x86 version - the 64-bit kernel is named "linux64" there), or follow
the initial binutils and gcc instructions in CLFS. The resulting gcc is
able to cross-compile a 64-bit kernel (make ARCH=x86_64
CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu- menuconfig && make ARCH=x86_64
CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-).

And if you don't want to download anything big and/or waste the CPU
time, here is a pre-made 64-bit kernel that, however, doesn't support
your hardware without initramfs:

http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/linux64

Just add it to GRUB menu.

--