On 8/13/07, Bruce Dubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Guys,
>   How can I tell if I have a 64 bit processor?  dmesg gives:
>
> CPU0: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (24) available
> CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz stepping 01
>
> /proc/cpuinfo:
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 4
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 3193.459
> cache size      : 1024 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 2
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 1
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 3
> wp              : yes
>
> >From what I can tell, some P4 processors are 64-bit and others are not.
>   How can I tell if I am 64-bit capable?  I really don't want to remove
> the heat sink to look at the processor.

There's probably a better way, but grab x86info, build, run as root.

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/x86info/

If you're on intel and you have em64t in the "Extended feature flags",
it supports the Intel 64 bit extensions. If you have the cpuid kernel
module (CONFIG_X86_CPUID), you can get some more info out of the
processor.

This also looks interesting:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/

--