Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:11:22AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
>> PS - This addition seems like overkill as most multilib setups default to
>> m64. It appears Jeremy is catering to those "unsupportable with current
>> build method" non-standard 32/64-bit setups such as Alex's Debian Lenny
>> example.
>
> Yes, it was added originally to cover that scenario, but I'm no longer
> "catering" to that host.
>
> When it came time to commit a few necessary changes today, I decided to
> leave it in since it will always force binutils and gcc to build 64-bit on
> pass1. As you say it is probably unnecessary even there, but at least by
> including it, we know without doubt that we're getting 64-bit, even on
> multilib hosts. Thereafter, of course, it isn't necessary at all since
> we'll be using our 64-bit only compiler.
>
> If you think it's better to leave it out entirely, please explain why.

Because it's *COMPLETELY* unnecessary. There is absolutely no need at all
to force the pass1's to be 64-bit. It's irrelevant if they happen to be
32-bit binaries. What *is* relevant is whether they produce 64-bit code or
not. Please see my other posting where I solved the Debian Lenny issue. My
build worked perfectly even though binutils-pass1 and the stage1 gcc were
themselves compiled as 32-bit binaries. The critical thing is the `target':

checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/