Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> echo "CFLAGS += -march=i686" > configparms

<snip>

> Everything went smoothly, so unless anyone has any objections, this is
> the method I'll be dropping in, except using i486, of course. I won't
> commit for the next hour or so, however, so that will give at least some
> time for other comments or objections.

One of the downsides of using `-march=' by itself is that it implies
`-mtune='. Therefore you have just tuned your libc for i486. Not good.

As mentioned previously, GCC-4.2.x tunes for `-mtune=generic' by default.
That means, at least for the Ch 6 Glibc, you really should be using these
CFLAGS "-march=i486 -mtune=generic". I will be adding something similar to
DIY soon (but slightly more complicated due to multiple version support).

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/